As a graphic designer, I am always working on other people logos and visual branding, but my own has had many makeovers, and swayed here and there as I am influence by so many things.
This year I have clamped down, and been tough on myself. They say designing for yourself is the hardest. But if you take a step back, follow a process and treat yourself like a client you can create a clear visual identity that you are confident in, and not easily swayed to change every few weeks.
So to keep me on track, I have designed my own brand board. This way I have a guideline to stick to and can’t go straying off.
If you are a designer and struggle to design for yourself, these are my tips:
- Treat yourself like a client, and look from an external perspective
- Get clear on who you are what you do, your style and vibe and who you serve.
- Follow a process, and don’t skip steps just because it’s for yourself
- Make brand guidelines you you have to stick to them
- Follow through and apply- apply the branding across all your social media, website and print material. Be consistent and it will just become easy, rather than a guessing game.